Introduction to Management
Scholar Year: 2018/2019 - 1S
|João Paulo Bravo de Matos Catarino||Head|
|Type of classes
Intended learning outcomes (Knowledges, skills and competencies to be developed by the students)
Learning outcomes of the curricular unit:
• Understand the fundamentals of business management
• Understanding the nature and functioning of organizations as socio-economic systems;
• Understand the responsibilities and roles of the manager;
• Understand the environment of organizations;
• Know and understand the components of the management cycle;
• Know how to characterize the different functional areas of management;
• Analyze the main concepts and theories within the functions of the management process;
• Understand the contemporary themes of competitiveness, ethics and corporate social responsibility and
entrepreneurship and innovation;
• Develop analytical and critical skills and communication;
• Develop planning and organizational skills, autonomy and research.
1. Managing in organizations
1.1 Introductory concepts
1.2 The evolution of management theories
1.3 Contemporary challenges for management
2. The business environment
3.1 Planning and strategic management
3.2 Strategic implementation
3.3 Decision making
3.4 Techniques for planning and decision making
4.1 Structure organization
4.2 Authority. Delegation. Decentralization
4.3 Managing change and innovation
5.1 Theories of motivation
5.2. Theories of leadership
5.3 Groups and teams
5.4 Communication and negotiation
6.1 Principles of control
6.2 Process of control
6.3 Types of control
Demonstration of the syllabus coherence with the UC intended learning outcomes
• Lecture-participatory method is used for the presentation of theoretical concepts.
• Resolution and discussion of cases, problem solving and team work
Avaliação distribuída com exame final
Assessment methodologies and evidences
•Continuous Assessment: Written Test (50%) and group work, with presentation (40%) and Class attendance and participation (10%).
•Final Assessment: Written Exam (100%)
Assement and Attendance registers
Robbins, S. P., & Coulter, M. K. (2012). Management (11th ed). Boston: Prentice Hall.
Please note that we will not be using the latest edition of the book.
Class notes, a text and exercise book from the instructor will also be available to students.
Boddy, D., & Paton, S. (2011). Management: an introduction (5th ed). Harlow: Financial Times Prentice Hall.
Catarino, João. Introduction to Strategic Management, Operations and Logistics. (JC Publishing, 2018). ISBN 978-0-359-12753-5
Catarino, João. An Introduction to Management, Operations and Logistics. (JC Publishing, 2018). ISBN 978-0-359-12734-4
HBR's 10 Must Reads on Strategy (2011). ISBN 9781422157985
Robbins, S. P., DeCenzo, D. A., & Coulter, M. K. (2013). Fundamentals of management: essential concepts and applications (8th ed). Upper Saddle River, NJ: Pearson.