Innovation and Strategic Management
Scholar Year: 2018/2019 - 1S
|Maria Dulce da Costa Matos Coelho||Head|
|Type of classes
Intended learning outcomes (Knowledges, skills and competencies to be developed by the students)
•Recognize the importance of innovation and strategy in firm´s development
•Understand, analyse and apply metodologies and tools for startegic and innovation analyse.
PART I- STRATEGIC MANAGEMENT
1- Strategic Management - An Introduction
2- Strategy – Definition
3- Components of a Strategy Statement
4- Strategic Management Process
5- Corporate and division strategic planning
6- Business Strategic Planning
7- Models for strategic formulation
PART II- INNOVATION
1-Innovation - An Introduction
2-What is innovation
3-Types Of Innovation
Demonstration of the syllabus coherence with the UC intended learning outcomes
•Expository method for theoretical approach
•Development of several activities and projects supported in the methodology “learning by doing”. This experiential-learning methodology, allows students to improve competences such as responsibility, confidence, team work, comunication, taking risks and decisions, simulating problems that occur in business environment
Avaliação distribuída com exame final
Demonstration of the teaching methodologies coherence with the curricular unit's intended learning outcomes
Activities in class - 70%
Final work: Theoretical essay about innovation (2/3 students +/- 10 pages) – 30%
• Bessant, J. and Tidd, J. (2011), Innovation and Entrepreneurship, 2nd Edition, Sussex, United Kingdom, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.
• Hitt, M. A., Ireland, R. D. & Hoskisson, R. E. (2017), Strategic Management: Competitiveness & Globalization: Concepts, 12th Edition, Boston, Cengage Learning.
• OECD (2005), Oslo Manual – Guidelines for Collecting and Interpreting Innovation Data, 3rd Edition, OECD/EUROSTAT, OECD Publishing (available at http://www.oecd.org)
• Tidd, J., Bessant, J. and Pavitt, K. (2005), Managing Innovation: Integrating technological, market & organizational change, 3rd Edition, Wiley.
• Wheelen, T. L., Hunger, J. D., Hoffman, A. N. & Bamford, C. E. (2015), Strategic Management and Business Policy: Globalization, Innovation, and Sustainability, 15th Edition, Harlow, Pearson.